Ever since I saw a recipe for this on stoveria.blogspot.com, I’ve been dying to make it. Staring into the green goo, my husband was a little bit skeptical, but as soon as he realized the pesto had cheese in it, he was happy. I was happy too. Broccoli pesto makes everyone happy apparently.
Broccoli Pesto (adapted from stoveria.blogspot.com)
- 1 head of broccoli, steamed
- 1/2 chopped walnuts (or blanched almonds, or I suppose if you wanted to spend $19.38/lb, you could use pine nuts too!)
- 1/2 shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese (the texture is about the same, but the price is vastly different, at least in cities where Mexican ingredients abound)
- 1 lb cooked pasta, with the starchy water reserved
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
In a food processor, combine the broccoli, nuts, and cheeses. Pulse until the sauce is thick and combined. Add the oil and seasonings. Combine. Pour over warm pasta and using a bit of the starchy water, combine until the pesto is creamy.